Do You Need A Tablet?

Image

There are so many people using tablets now that it’s hard to believe that it’s only been four years since the first iPad came on the scene.  Some analysts think tablets will outsell laptops soon.  So the question is, do you want one and if so, do you want an Apple or an Android model?

Having just done considerable research before purchasing my new laptop, I have reached a few conclusions.

Tablets are good for consuming information on the go.  The screens are bigger than smart phones and they have more processing power and storage capacity than smart phones.  (My iPhone ran out of storage space the minute I synced my iTunes music library and I had to delete a bunch of files.)   My Android phone runs a little slow at times.  I think it’s straining under the load of all those apps multi-tasking.  The teeny tiny keyboards on both products drive me nuts and neither Siri nor Google voice seem to understand me.

Tablets offer a more portable and comfortable way to check email, view web pages, watch movies, listen to music, play games or view maps and reports for work.  However, if you spend a considerable amount of time creating information, like blogging, writing reports and longer emails, you won’t be happy with a touch screen keyboard.  Of course you can add keyboards to tablets, but that increases the weight and makes it into a mini laptop which sort of defeats the purpose, if you ask me.  I find the small screens restrictive and I had a hard time getting used to the small the keyboard on my Asus tablet.

Therefore, I use my smart phone for navigation, and to check emails, texts and voice mails to see who needs immediate attention.  I leave everything I can, until I get back to my laptop with it’s nice crunchy full-size keyboard and 15 inch screen.

So, consider what you are going to want to do with a tablet.  You probably don’t need one.

However, you may want one.  If you decide to jump in, you will have to choose a camp…LOL…Apple, Android, or Microsoft.  I won’t go into the myriad of choices here…there are so many and they change all the time.  Suffice it to say, that if you use a Mac computer, your life will be simpler if you get an iPad; and if you use a PC, you will be happier with an Android or Microsoft product.  Some people like the simple look of the apple product and find them very easy to learn and it is possible to sync iPads (and iPhones) with PCs.  I do it with clients all the time.   But just be aware that “the boys” are very competitive and don’t like to play together nicely, so you may need my help.

I’m always happy to do pre-purchase consultations and/or shopping trips.  It makes me so happy to be able to save clients tons of money by preventing them from buying expensive gadgets and bells and whistles that they don’t need.

I’m always grateful for the opportunity to see you and help in any way I can.

If you have found this information helpful, please feel free to forward this to others.  Your referrals are the heart of my business and I really appreciate you.

In Joy,
Mardi

“Restoring peace and joy to the world through computer and gadget education.”

14 comments for “Do You Need A Tablet?

1. Sharon Mabrey
    February 22, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Hi Mardi Just heard from Mary Sander. She Fell And fractured her hip so our work Will be post- poned for awhile .

Sent from my iPhone

• February 22, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Oh my gosh…I’m so sorry!
      I’ve was just thinking about her and almost called her today to see if something happened because she had had to cancel our appointment last week due to illness.
      Maybe it will help her if I work with her after she feels better.
      I can show her some fun things she can do while she is recuperating.
      Thanks for letting me know. I’ll call and wish her well.

2. Sharon Mabrey
    February 25, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Hi Mardi Great article, thanks! The woman I referred to you (Mary) is in rehab, she fell & fractured her hip. I ll keep u posted. XoxoS

Sent from my iPad

3. March 1, 2014 at 1:59 pm

A nice comment from Barbara Scharnhorst, of Al & Barbara Pet Sitting – 760.702.1109 and
    Big Bear Sugarloaf Chalet – 877.818.1013

Thank you Mardi for all the information on tablets. We are in the market for one now, and from your info, think I am pretty sure the direction I will go.

And my reply:

Awesome. So glad I could be of help.
    Made my day. Thanks!
    In Joy,
    Mardi

4. March 1, 2014 at 5:53 pm

A comment from Sherrie,,
    Hi Mardi, I have a tablet…..that will be next….If you will still want to give me training after I get more acquainted with my personal computer….lol.
    Have a great day
    Sherie

5. March 1, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Of course Sherie! That will be fun! Thanks!
    You did really well with your computer lesson.
    In Joy,
    Mardi

6. March 1, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Mardi:

Thanks for the input on tablets. Before we went on our recent
    cruise, I bot a Samsung 10.1 note pad. It was valuable in traveling
    as it is light and compact. I am still learning how to maximize
    my use of its many features. Used mainly for email, books &
    movies on the trip…..thanks….jim

7. March 1, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Thanks Jim. Good to hear from you and know about that.
    It was great talking with you about getting a new computer too. Let me know what you decide to buy.
    In Joy,
    Mardi

8. March 1, 2014 at 6:04 pm

From Ted:
    Good morning Mardi! I don’t want a tablet (yet). I am interested to get together with you to do a few things to allow me to flow between devices, so syncing my contacts between Iphone and Google contacts is important to me, and I need some time with you to learn some of the many functions that Google has that will be helpful to me. I I also want to pick your brain about apps that would be helpful to me in my life, but eliminate those that in the long haul are useless to my life functions. I want to easily flow around within Gmail and still keep current contact in Iphone.

9. March 1, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I’d love to do that Ted. Just call me when you get back from your trip and we’ll get you all set up. Thanks for checking in. I think it would be fun to do a workshop where everyone could compare apps and share info about them.

10. March 1, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Hi Mardi,

I wanted to say “thanks” for the thoughts on tablets. Because of my real estate business and my Mac, I keep thinking about an Ipad & have not yet bounced to that….But, is there value &/or reliability in buying refurbished as opposed to new? As you say, they change all the time…..I had to delete off stuff my iphone 3 to add music for teaching my yoga class.

Thanks for the thoughts! It was a great email with your testimonial and great photo too!

Carol

Carol Hochsprung
    Real Estate Professional
    HOM Sotheby’s International Realty

Cell 760.668.9735
    Office 760.844.7720
    Fax/Scan 760.844.7720
    chochsprung@homgroup.com

11. March 1, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Thanks Carol! So glad to know it was helpful. I really appreciate hearing from you and the opportunity to address your question.

Personally:
    I would rather have new. (We know how to demonstrate what we really want, right?)
    Refurbished by the Apple company with a warranty might be OK because it is their product and reputation on the line.
    I definitely would not buy used or refurbished anywhere else.
    iPad for your real estate practice might make sense for showing clients listings and doing listing presentations….”consuming information.”
    I sat through a social media marketing company’s presentation on an iPad at a Starbucks, and the sales person commented that she wished she’d brought her laptop because it was faster.

So again, for me, it’s about what are you going to do with it and how important is the weight. You might talk to your colleagues about how they use them and if it has been worth the investment.

Thanks for the question. I know it will be helpful to others as well. May I post our conversation on my blogs for others to benefit.

Let me know what you decide.

In Joy,

Mardi

12. March 1, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Mardi, This is so perfect! I got some free help from a support person and she recommends tablets, especially Apple. I was going to look into it. I would have to add keyboard, and wireless printer so it did not sound good for me. I enjoyed very much your clarity in comparing these products. My dream is an Apple laptop computer! I am getting tech support from HP now – will send you info. Love, Nancy

13. March 1, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Thanks Nancy. I’m glad it was helpful. Thanks for letting me know.
    You’ll get that MAC soon, I’m sure. Dreams come true when you believe it and I know you to be a mighty manifestor.
    All the best to you,