Google Chrome Smart Lock To The Rescue
Passwords are torture for everyone and I’m so happy to be able to share a solution that’s even easier than LastPass.
You can use Google Chrome “Smart Lock for Passwords.” You just need to use Google Chrome and be signed into Chrome with a Google account. (You don’t have to use the gmail address for anything else if you don’t want to.)
Here’s How It Works
If you don’t have a Google account:
- Go to google.com and create an account
- Download and install Google Chrome
- Follow the instructions to make it the default browser
- Allow it to import your bookmarks or favorites when it offers
To Connect Chrome to your account:
- Click on the three stacked dots (upper right)
- Click Settings
- Under “Sign In” click “Connect your Google Account”
- Close the tab.
You’re Good To Go
When you login to your sites, it will ask to remember your logins. You will give permission the first time and it will log you in automatically afterward. What a relief!!!
And, if you use Google Chrome on your mobile devices, it will log you in there also.
(There may be times when a website doesn’t allow autofill, for example, at public terminals or when a site has been coded to specifically block autofill)
Now that you don’t have to remember your passwords (Ah bliss!) you can create super secure (impossible to remember or hack) passwords instead of using the usual lame ones.
A good source for secure passwords is http://www.nortonsecurityonline.com/tools/password-generator.html
- Go to your accounts and login with your old password
- Find the place that says “change password” (it will be different for every site)
- Change the password using one that you copied from the Norton’s website
What If You’re Not Using Your Own Computer?
If you need a password when you’re not using your own computer, you can login to www.passwords.google.com and see all your passwords.
To see all the password on your computer:
- Click the stacked three dots (upper right)
- Click “Settings”
- Scroll down and click “Show advanced settings”
- Scroll down to “Passwords and forms” and click “manage passwords.”
- Click the dots by the link account you want to see
- Click “Show”
If you have questions or need help with Chrome or other apps, just call or send me an email and we’ll set up a time to get together — in person or via remote access. Enjoy!