Don’t you just hate it when your printer won’t print!!
I get calls from clients about this all the time.
The good news is that there’s usually an easy fix.
What do you think it is?
For a Printer connected directly to the computer with a cord:
- Make sure the printer is plugged in, turned on, and has paper in it.
- Make sure the printer cable is properly connected to the printer and to the computer.
- Check to see if there is a paper jam. Most printers have a flashing light to indicate a jam.
- Check to see that the printer toner, or ink is adequate. Printers will not print when even one cartridge is out of ink.
- Make sure the printer is switched to Online mode. There is usually a button on your printer’s control panel. If it is switched to Offline mode, it will not print.
- Try rebooting both the printer and the computer
- Turn them both off. Then turn them on again in this sequence.
- Turn the printer on first
- Then turn the computer on.
If it still doesn’t work, the printer will need to be un-installed and re-installed. I can do it for you in a few minutes via remote access.
Wireless printing is very convenient at times, but it’s slower and less reliable than a wired connection. If your computer is usually near your printer, consider using a wired connection. You can get printer cables as long as 25 ft..
If Your Wireless Printer is not working:
Reboot the computer, printer and wireless router
- Turn off the computer and printer and unplug the router (If your router is built into the modem, unplug the modem.
- Plug in the router or modem and wait for it to reboot (all the lights are on)
- Turn on the printer
- Turn on the computer
If that doesn’t work, call your technician or call me for a referral to a good one.
To receive a handy printer troubleshooting cheat sheet and checklist to put on your printer, send me an email below.
Please share this with your friends and encourage them to sign up for Techie Tips so their techie lives can be simple, easy and fun too.
Your friends can sign up for Techie Tips right here.